DESIGN PRINCIPLES [PROJECT 1]

 

18/1/22 Week 03 
Maizatul Amirah Mahat (0336918)
BA Mass Communication (Digital Media Production) /Taylor's University
(Minor) 
Design Principles / Project 1 (%)



Lectures
Introduction & Briefing on Project 1

The term "contemporary forms of self-expression" was underlined by Dr. Charles. Conduct background study about yourself to determine the purpose of your design. There are several approaches to taking a self-portrait. Using mixed media techniques such as drawing or even making a collage out of the images you've taken. To begin, we must first determine who the "user" is, which in this case is you.

Finding the art in you.
Hobbies, education, and talents are all examples of intangible information. If you look past them, you'll find out a lot more about yourself, such as your makeup preferences, style sense, favorite foods, and so on. Do not only consider your internal attributes but your physical attributes as well. Lastly, allow the design principles to guide your composition for the project.

____________________________________________________________________________



Visual and Self Research 

During class, we were briefed on how to find ideas to create self portrait. I've created a Mind Map which could help me to find inspiration based on the what I've observed about my own self.


Summary of what I want in my self-portrait:-
  • According to what I find within myself, I like to keep things to myself even how bad I want to tell another person but the fear of being judged or being belittled by them makes me more reserved. As I grow Older I see myself as some who is more stronger standing alone even though there are still fears and anxiety that has been part of the catalyst that colors my world. Through out every feelings that I felt, I will keep on smiling all the way through.
  • So for my design, I'd like it to evoke the smile on my face. Aside from that, I'd want some aspect that depicts something devouring my soul, anxieties that I have to fight myself out on my own such as :-
    • Perhaps used abstract expressionism as a background to portray my fear.

Idea Exploration

https://www.saatchiart.com/art/Painting-self-perfection/420360/8392262/view

  • This self-perfection art artwork drew my attention because of how messy it appears, but you can still perceive the face/subject behind the chaos (abstract of squares, lines, scribbles, colors). I believe it is related to how I feel, of trying to be perfect while there is no such thing as perfection, based on my observations. The key design that I would adopt is how it depicts the human figure that merges into the background.



Sketches
  • To begin, I sketched the line art to form a figure of myself and basic parts on a white backdrop, using largely loose lines to allow for future alterations in orientation and size if desired.
  • As for the background exploration, I have discovered acrylic pouring.

Progress

  • Then, I finalized my sketch and color up my portrait.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Feedbacks and Progression


Mr. Charles suggested that for these two designs, the overlay contrast should be fixed, and the focus point should be found. I agree with him, therefore I chose to keep the paint off my face and apply it to the outside areas of my face so that the attention may remain on my face.

________________________________________________________________________________



Final Design Outcome

Tittle: 'Mixed Feelings'

Rationale:

Explanation for ideas behind my self-portrait: 
This work, I appear to be attempting to blend in with the colors, yet I still stand out. It might be either positive or negative. As for the good aspects of this art story, I do my hardest to blend in with the
crowd while yet trying to stay on my feet and not let anybody break my ground. On the down side,
I am uncomfortable or unclear of how blending in with people may affect me. I'm afraid of being disoriented and unsure of myself. But, overall, I'd like to stay smiling and find
happiness and fulfilment within myself and. As a result, I wanted to show
myself smiling to represent strength, optimism, and positivity
.

____________________________________________________________________________

Reflection

To summaries, for a new person who just started drawing,  I believe this artwork is one of the greatest I've ever done, not just in terms of look, but also in terms of significance. It allowed me to explore myself both intellectually and physically before deciding how I wanted to present myself. Making the mind map and completing the personality exam reminded me of who I am as a person, or at least who I believe I am, and it was an excellent opportunity for self-reflection. Overall, I am delighted with my finished work as well as myself; I have gone a long way, both artistically and personally.


Comments

Popular Posts