IVN [PROJECT 3]

 


Maizatul Amirah Mahat-0336918
Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons) Digital Media Production
Illustration and Visual Narrative - Ms. Anis and Mr. Kannan

Project 2: Decisive Moment


PROJECT 3
WEBTOON & MOTION COMIC

Fig 1: Assignment Brief [3/06/2021]


Story

The comic that I have to create is a story telling comic called “No Way List”. This is partially based on my life story and carries meaning in my life, hence I believe this is the reason why I am best to tell this story, directly from the source. It is partly inspired by my life and partly fabricated to create drama and dynamics that revolve around romance, real-life challenges and self-help. I want to create a world that intertwines our reality with fantasy in a relatable and realistic sense; with it to introduce characters that all of us and the audience can perhaps relate to. This, I believe can be done through the portrayal of the characters, their life journey, the challenges they faced along the way with how they managed to either fail or succeed.

Maya is a deaf barista who works at a coffee shop. She has a 'no way' book with a list of things she generally avoids since she is worried of upsetting or disappointing others. As a result, Maya follows the same routine every day. travel to and from work and home And if there are any disruptions from the pattern.

Harry has been keeping an eye on Maya, unbeknownst to her. Although he is attracted in Maya, but he finds it difficult to approach Maya since Maya has been a really focus with her own things. He almost gave up until one night, while riding his motorcycle home, he noticed Maya with a panicky face still waiting for her bus home.

He was about to miss it because of the past rejections from other girl, when he noticed Maya wiping her tears away. She appeared terrified and alone, so Harry decided to approach Maya and ask if she needed any assistance. This time, though, Harry swiftly pulls out his notepad from his backpack and scribbles down a series of queries.


_____

The Main Character

Maya: Is the main character of this short film. In the short film, Maya has two sides of her self belief/personality; one side who is the happy-go-lucky personality, confident and brave, versus the other, who is shy, closed-in and fearful of what might happen with every step she takes. Changes in personality are caused by the accident after she loses her ability to hear; which has resulted in her being insecure. But the main objective/desire is she wants a deeper connection and intimate relationship (to be love and to be accepted fully). Ultimately, Maya’s fear to open herself to others and her fear of being rejected for her disability become a mental obstruction.






_____

Research and Inspiration

What is my art style? To be honest, I rarely draw characters. I enjoy watching them only. this is really a really challenging project where I need to do a lot of research and practice to develop my own art style. I may a lot of help from YouTube and some of my experience friend who love to draw. My first step is to research few art style that could inspire me and help me out to create my own ways of  drawing character.


Fig 2: Pinterest Inspiration (1) [5/06/2021]

What is my art style? (2) - This are few drawings from Pinterest that I like. I kind of into the top row number 3 from the left side and the bottom row number 2 from the left side. It looks simple and very accurate to what I'm interested in.


Fig 2: Pinterest Inspiration (2) [5/06/2021]

I find out that, creating face structure and overall body structure was the most challenging part, especially to draw it digitally. 

Just some research; I learn how to deconstruct body figure. I learn that having a deconstruct body figure can help out as a template/guide to use that deconstructed form and then reshape it. can move the body around, different poses. Lastly, it can be refine


Fig 2.1: Deconstruct figure [5/06/2021]


Progress.

I have develop some rough sketch scene for my panels.



Fig 3.: storyboard (1) [5/06/2021]



Fig 3.: storyboard (2) [5/06/2021]



Fig 3.: storyboard (3) [5/06/2021]


Final Product

You guys can also check it out on WEBTOON.
As for Motion Comic, you guys can Check it out on YouTube.


FEEDBACK 

In Week 15, Ms. Hanis mentioned that the design process and the Idea went well. 




Comments

Popular Posts